Erosion and Sedimentation Pollution Control Program
The statewide goal of this program is to minimize accelerated erosion and sediment pollution that may result from earthmoving activities. Erosion and Sediment Best Management Practices (BMPs) are to be utilized on all earth disturbances. A written E&S plan is required to be prepared and submitted for review whenever there is earth disturbance greater than or equal to 5,000 square feet. This approved plan must be on-site during the construction activity.
E&S Plan Requirements
The Erosion and Sediment Control Plan should include all of the following 11 items:
- The existing topographic features of the project area and surrounding area.
- The types, depths, slope, locations, and limitations of the soils.
- The characteristics of the earth disturbance activity, including the past, present, and proposed land uses, and the proposed alteration to the project site.
- The amount of runoff from the project area and its upstream watershed area.
- The location of Waters of The Commonwealth, which may receive runoff within or from the project site and their classification pursuant to Chapter 93.
- A written depiction of the location and type of perimeter and on site Best Management Practices (BMPs) used before, during, and after the earth disturbance activity.
- A sequence of BMP installation and removal in relation to the scheduling of earth disturbance activities, prior to, during, and after earth disturbance activities.
- Supporting Calculations.
- Plan drawings.
- A maintenance program, which provides for inspection of BMPs on a weekly basis and after each measurable precipitation event, including the repair of the BMPs to ensure effective and efficient operation.
- Procedures which ensure that the proper measures for recycling or disposal of materials associated with or from the project site will be undertaken in accordance with this title.
Documents and Forms
All applications for Erosion and Sediment Control Plans submitted to the BCCD must contain these items: A completed Project Application Form, a check for the review fee, and an E&S plan with supporting documents.PDF | Word – BCCD E&SC Project Application & Review Fee Schedule Word – BCCD Standard E&S Notes Word – Single-lot BMPs for Homeowners Word – Small Project Guidelines PDF – Common Standard Construction Details LINK – Erosion and Sediment Pollution Control Program Manual