Water Encroachment

Chapter 105 Water Encroachment Permits

Streams, floodways, lakes, ponds, wetlands, and other bodies of water are essential habitats for wildlife, improve water quality of our stormwater runoff, and help to reduce flooding. As a result, activities in or near these features are regulated by state and federal laws. In general, disturbance activities in them typically require a permit. Permitted activities include, but are not limited to flood attenuation, channeling, piping, bridging, relocation, floodway encroachment, and wetland disturbances.


The BCCD is delegated to review Chapter 105 General Permit numbers 1 through 9. For more information about Chapter 105 General Permits, you can visit DEP’s website at the link below:


Permitting information through DEP:


Berks County Water Encroachment Permits:


Explore PaDEP’s webpage with instructional videos to assist Applicants and Consultants in registering for Chapter 105 e-Permitting.

Applicants/owners utilize this video to assist in registering as an Electronic Filing Administrator (EFA).

Employees who are not the EFA (i.e. consultants or other users needing to register for their client) may utilize this video to assist in registering for e-Permitting.

Non e-Permits Procedure 

At this time the DEP recommends all chapter 105 permits be applied for through the e-permit process, if an applicant cannot use this process paper applications are still accepted by the district.

For non e-permit forms, please visit our Water Encroachment Permits website here.

Pond Information

General information on building and maintaining a pond and what permits are needed for these activities can be found here. Disturbances in and around ponds are reviewed by the Department of Environmental Protection on a case-by-case basis. However, the BCCD can assist you with general technical assistance regarding ponds, regulations associated with them, and potential permits required for building, maintaining, or removing ponds.

Contact Information

Should you wish to contact the BCCD to discuss concerns about water encroachments, permitting, or Chapter 105 compliance, contact Jason Rickards or Thomas Forsythe at (610) 372-4657.

BCCD Chapter 105 Water Encroachment Permits Page


Comments are closed.