The Berks County Conservation District is offering hand-made, custom-crafted rain barrels!
Each rain barrel is a 55 Gallon Plastic Drum with a spigot, overflow valve, and inlet.
The proceeds of each Rain Barrel sold supports our Student Scholarship Program!
What are “Rain Barrels“
Rain Barrels are a rainwater collection system that stores rooftop runoff that can be used for irrigating gardens and lawns, and conserves water!
Benefits of Rain Barrels:
- Reduces roof runoff
- Conserves water use
- Reduces pollutants from entering streams
- Clean water for gardens, lawns, washing cars, etc.!
- Keep openings covered with a fine-mesh screen to prevent mosquito breeding; You can also use “dunks”, a non-toxic bacteria to kill larvae.
- Empty barrel frequently to keep stored water from developing odors.
- Check barrel and connections frequently to remove debris.
- Drain barrel and connections and place in storage during winter to avoid freezing damage.
- Anywhere there is a rain leader from a roof!
- Water from barrel should NEVER be used for drinking, cooking, or bathing!